Sunday 1 June 2014

(Star Letter) "Namibian Modelling Industry Is Not Very Lucrative and "Models" End Up Selling Themeselves Short" Maria Nepembe

Hello ladies. And Boys too. Lol. Ok. So a lot of you have been inboxing me and asking me questions and advice on how to venture into modelling. Seeing as my inbox is always busy and I can't exactly cater to each and everyone one of you individually, I thought my status update would be the perfect platform to address this issue. So PAY ATTENTION. My modelling career was very much uplanned and I happened to be at the right place at the right time. I was quite fortunate because I never really put in any effort when it came to securing jobs because clients looked for me. So I never really faced any challenges as a model. And I might not be the perfect person to be giving advice. But I do know that the Namibian modelling industry is not very lucrative and "models" end up selling themeselves short. And they are taken for granted (in most cases). I once walked out of a rehearsal because we were told that our salary would be cut. What surprised me was the fact that each and every model was complaining in silent and when the time came to speak out, I was on my own. The next day I was in the paper for apparently being a snob and thinking I'm too good. Look at me NOW. I knew my worth. I have noticed that most of these young girls are after the fame and not the proffession itself. I was never fame hungry. I just loved what I was doing. It fulfilled me. You can't become a big model over night so you obviously have to start off small. I did a lot of promotions, surprisingly it paid more than actual modelling. A lot of small jobs can land you a big one. Dont be lazy. If you have to walk in the sun handing out pamphlets, do it. If you want to be a model you have to take care of your body. Your skin, your
legs, your face. Exercise and eat right.
You need to network. Interact with the right people. Your name has to be out there. (Try to be known for the right reasons). If you are gonna be in this industry, it is not for the weak at heart, GROW A VERY THICK SKIN. Because what they call haters are gonna come at you like a pack of wolves. You will hear things about yourself that will shock even you.
People will accuse you of sleeping with people to get ahead. Keep your head up and do you. They still call me dirty kandeshi. A music video character.
Most importantly, DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A MODEL???? Be realistic. Some of you are too ambitious. Not everybody can be a model. No matter how many proffessional photoshoots you book, if it's not showing in your bank account, its not for you. Focus on school and build a realistic career.
Kisses.
Maria Nepembe, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment